1. Look at the images from the Shang Dynasty. Describe important characteristics of the Shang Dynasty and how are these characteristics reflected in the artwork.
2. What do the Terra Cotta Warriors of the first Qin Emporer reveal about this emporer’s Qin Shihuang- beliefs? What do they reveal about nation building?
3. Where was The Funeral Banner of Lady Dai found?
What are your conclusions about the function of this object from The Han Dynasty? Compare this piece to another funerary image of your choice- describe the different ways symbols, depth and figure/portrait are used.
4. What dynasty are these vases from and what are some interesting things about this Dynasty?
Where does the blue come from in the David vases and what conclusions can you draw bout the ambitions and interests of the people that made and patronized these vases and ought out this color?
Describe the decoration on blue and white porcelain?
What is the importance of Chinese Porcelain? What is the importance of this David Vase?
5. How does Buddhism enter China and why was it received and established as a religion?
6. What Buddha is represented in the Longman Cave? Describe the Cave. What happened in 845 to Buddhist caves in China?5.
7. FORBIDDEN CITY
1. How does The Forbidden City reflect Ming Dynasty goals and ambitions. Explain within the answer how the layout refelects hierarchy.
2. Describe how the public and private space is divided in The Forbidden City.
3. Describe additional details such as gardens, sculptures. tiles and colors.
4. Find 2 other Palace/Sacred Complexes to compare with the Forbidden City. Write clear CONTEXTUAL EXPLANATION for the function and visual details
1. What is A Stupa? How does it function?
2. How does the Buddha image evolve with respect to the Stupa?
3. What is a Yakshi?
4. How does a Hindu Temple function. How does the plan direct a worshipper? What other forms and ideas outside of architecture does the building connect with?
5. How does Shiva's shape reinforce the gods story?
6. What is the function of the relief statues on the Kajuraho Temple? https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/ap-art-history/south-east-se-asia/india-art/a/lakshmana-temple-india
CROSS CULTURES AND TIME
I. http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/do-ho-suh Watch this segment. SAVE FOR Greek Chapter
- How does Do Ho Suh (Not an artist in AP packet) address uniformity and individuality? What issues does he address that the Terra Cotta Warriors may also suggest.
- What would you say are Do Ho Suh’s ideas about home and place?
- Compare Do Ho Suh’s interests to EITHER Cindy Sherman or El Anatsui (both in AP Packet)